24 Hours—A Lot Can Happen

The activity is constant and endless.  Lifestyles are adjusted to the heightened levels of chaos always bordering on calamity.  Insignificance is just that, even more so.  It does not matter.  Priorities shift in an effort to provide balance, continuity and stability in what by all appearances is disorder.  Time does not sit idly by.  Things happen constantly.

As testament I present a few happenings of the past 24 hours.

Zoë kicked things off this past Saturday night (OK, I know that was more than 24 hours ago but work with me here.  Some things need preface.)  by heating things up, namely her core body temperature.  Not too alarming–102 and easily controlled with that miracle drug–Motrin.  Have you heard of the stuff?  I used to say that all the time to parents that would bring their kids to the ER at 3 in the morning with fevers.  When I asked if they had given the little fireball anything they would reply, “No, I wanted you to see how high the fever was.”  Like they thought I wouldn’t believe them.  Geesh!

I digress.

Maura gave Zoë a quick once over when she got home and determined she most likely had strep.  And they say doctors don’t make house calls anymore.  Antibiotics were started in very short order.

Inevitability.  (That means if you’ve got a house full of crazy kids and one is sick–it won’t be long before you’ve got a house full of crazy sick kids.)  Zane was first to follow suit though Zander was looking a bit pasty Wednesday evening.  Once again, Maura was called to duty and after assessing all of the kids determined that yes, indeed, lymphadenopathy was rampant.  Except for Zella.  She seemed fine.  “That,” I said, “is only logical as Zella never eats and the chances of her eating or drinking after any of the other kids is astronomically low therefore her chances of becoming ill are significantly decreased.”

Antibiotics were started in short order.  A lot of antibiotics!

That's a Lot of Antibiotics

Zane stayed home from school.  As we were watching a riveting show about building bridges, Zane screams, “Oh my God!  My tooth!  I lost my tooth!”

And he had.  Zane lost his first tooth.  Really lost it.  He had no idea where it was.  We quickly dismantled the couch and found it nestled between the cushions.  Zane lost his first tooth!

Zane lost his First tooth!

An hour and a half later, he lost his second!

Zane Lost His Second Tooth!

Before bed last night I sewed Zane a little pouch to put his two teeth into as an offering to Flossie–the Tooth Fairy.  I had made a little pouch for Zoë but I didn’t think Zane would appreciate a pink pouch for his tooth. Short notice and a long day but I think it came out….acceptable.

Pouch for Tooth Fairy

Tonight kicks off our Football Friday Nights.  You may remember that Maura is team doctor to the local high school football team.  Building on our fantastic experience from last year there’s a new job in the family.  Zane gets to be a water boy!  He even gets a jersey.  The boy is stoked.  We’ll see if the steady downpour (much needed, I might add) that we a currently experiencing will temper his spirits.

Which reminds me….The cushions on the deck are getting soaked.  Typical!

11 comments for “24 Hours—A Lot Can Happen

1. amy
    Sep 12, 2008 at 5:16 pm

Dude, you sew? That is amazing!
    My antibiotic stash usually grows about January. Maybe I should start the Airborne now…

2. Jen
    Sep 12, 2008 at 5:26 pm

My kids always get sick either at the very end of December or the 1st of January. Normally its the end of Dec. That’s when we have this particular meeting at church that starts the last two days of the month and goes on to the 1st of Jan. We usually either miss it completely or have to tag-team it so SOMEbody gets to go.

3. Sep 12, 2008 at 7:29 pm

Sounds like there is never a dull moment around your house. I hope the kidos are feeling better.

4. Sep 12, 2008 at 8:27 pm

Holy antibiotics Batman! How handy that mom is really a doctor…Dr. Mom.

🙂

Hope everyone is feeling better and that the game was not rained out.

5. Sep 13, 2008 at 12:42 am

An antibiotic pyramid… I am very impressed, Ed :).

Hope the kids are feeling better.

And congrats on the loss of the tooth/ I mean teeth. My boy actually lost a tooth at school, and it stayed lost!

6. Sep 13, 2008 at 1:07 pm

Amy—This may be the first time I’ve had all five on antibiotics at the same time.

Jen–We normally go through about 3-4 boxes of Kleenex in Dec/Jan. Lots of snot around here.

James–There’s never an excuse to be bored!

Kami–It’s one of the many perks of being married to her!

Karen MEG–He’s been working on those since we went to the dentist last month and she found out they were loose. He was stoked–and quite the rich little kid now. Flossie was impressed at the dual offering!

7. Sep 13, 2008 at 5:08 pm

What an awesome Teeth Pouch!!! Impressive sewing skilz, dude!

8. MGM
    Sep 14, 2008 at 3:19 am

Whoa! That’s a LOT of pink stuff!

I must admit, I reread the line about sewing a tooth pouch a couple times to be sure I understood correctly. I’m glad you included the pic. That is one cool tooth bag. I am thoroughly impressed with your kick-ass domestic skills. With a husband like you, who needs a wife? (I had some friends in grad school–all of us female–who used to joke about how much we all really needed a wife).

Hope everyone feels better soon!

9. Sep 14, 2008 at 6:52 pm

Nola–Thanks. I was a bit under the gun as I waited until about 30 minutes before bedtime so it didn’t come out exactly they way I wanted. But it worked.

MGM–Thank you. I have always said I was going to make someone a good wife.

10. Sep 14, 2008 at 9:49 pm

And to think I joked with the pharmacist about getting the bulk jug of antibiotics when we all got strep. You could really use it!

11. Sep 15, 2008 at 2:09 pm

Im—I could definitely use the bulk jug!

Comments are closed.