Some Days are Stones

Some days are diamonds.  This is not.

I woke this morning with the image of Joe Cool dancing to a melody Schroeder was banging out on the piano.  I hit the snooze because it’s what I do.  Snoopy stopped dancing and I got ten more minutes.  Happy feet can’t be still, though and when he started again I got up.

The day ahead was full of promise.  Of hope.  Of field trips and new shoes.  Of sack lunches and smoothies.  Little things that mean worlds to little people who mean the world.

The world turns — quickly.

Why’s fall from trembling lips as tears fall from sad eyes.  How comes are without explanation.  There are no answers — none  suitable.

I’m sorry will have to do.

Today is Earth Day and I’m going to be digging a hole though I’m not planting a tree.   Rather I’ll be saying goodbye to a sweet friend, and the greatest attack cat ever.

Goodbye, Cinnamon

8 comments for “Some Days are Stones

1. Apr 22, 2010 at 9:13 am

Oh so sorry. It must be tough to lose a pet. How are the kids taking it?
    .-= Susie´s last blog ..For Every Vice There Is A Virtue =-.

• Ed
      Apr 22, 2010 at 6:57 pm

It was a pretty rough morning — but my kids are pretty resilient. They’re back to laughing, screaming and fighting this evening. In other words — back to normal.

2. Apr 22, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Wow, Ed, I’m so sorry. What a thing to wake up to. As a cat lover (even though I’m incredibly allergic) and a pet owner (dogs, and previously ferrets), I feel for you. It’s a sad thing when a loved one passes.

Your Z’s are in my prayers … hold them extra tight today, even when they fight!
    .-= goofdad´s last blog ..Snuggling with your kids … =-.

• Ed
      Apr 22, 2010 at 6:58 pm

Well, turns out the kids are taking it pretty well. I’m the one that’s bummed. He was a good cat.

3. Apr 23, 2010 at 4:41 pm

so sorry Ed, it’s hard to say goodbye to a good friend! And he was a cutie at that.
    .-= Kami´s last blog ..The Corruption of a Sweet Little Girl =-.

4. Apr 25, 2010 at 9:15 pm

I know exactly how you felt. We lost one of our cats in December. It was rough for everyone, but especially for me since that cat used to spend his evenings in my office on my lap while I worked on the computer.

Our other cat now gets hugged and petted far more than ever.
    .-= Idaho Dad´s last blog ..Educated Kid =-.

5. MGM
    May 3, 2010 at 10:52 pm

Sorry, late in catching up on blogs.

Even more sorry about your loss of the fur-child! I had to put my Frederick down almost three years ago. He was 19 1/2 years old and had lived his entire life with me. That’s a long time. Longer than it takes to raise some kids and launch them out on their own. It was rough!

As I said…so sorry for your loss!
    .-= MGM´s last blog ..Aspiring Writer =-.

• Ed
      May 6, 2010 at 8:46 pm

I hear you on the catching up. My days could use an extra 3 or 7 hours!

Comments are closed.